Wednesday 10 October 2012

This soup will change my life........possibly.

So after book group I am feeling a little unwell and it's not because I drank loads because I didn't!
 
My throat is sore and my ears are aching  but in true newbie style I have been organised and busy in the kitchen.
Everyone at fat club is raving about 'speed soup' - I have made a pot of it. It's a huge pot.
 
There are all sorts of various ingredients including lots of beans.
 I couldn't find a can of mixed bean salad in St Ives so I improvised and used baked beans, butter beans and kidney beans. I am assuming that the word 'speed' in the title of this recipe is because with all the beans and vegetables you would be rushing to the loo very quickly.
 
I can cook but I very rarely get it right when it comes to soup and judging by the smell of what is in the enormous pot on my hob, I don't think this will be an exception.
 
I'm actually not even sure that I like soup that much but I am willing to try anything this week to give me a good weight loss for my 'first week'.
 
When I was a wee lassie in Northumberland my Mum always had a pot of soup or broth on the go. 
Everything went in it - and it was fed from an equally  large stock pot that was boiled up daily and all chicken bones, veg peelings etc would add to the delicious flavour.
 Maybe it's my inner child coming out - but I miss my Mum's soup and maybe that's why mine just doesn't taste as nice - it's because I am always comparing it to the legendary soup of yesteryear.
 
With the speed soup recipe you can 'leave it chunky' or 'pulse' it ( no pun intended ) and I haven't decided which way to go with mine. I know for a fact that I will not be eating any of it tonight, infact the more I think about it the more scared I become. I don't want to throw it out but I also really don't want to eat it...........I may try giving some away tomorrow.
 
In the meantime, it's mushroom carbonara for dinner. I am going to throw a large tea towel over the hot savoury liquid so I don't have to look at it. I reckon there's enough for the next week which is worrying.
 
I am sure that  Heinz , Baxter's or Campbells don't  ever have this problem.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like the sound or look of Speed Soup. Yuk!! xx

    Have a nice Minestrone instead. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, if you don't eat it then you'll have to feed it to Al, Beccy & Martha instead, can't have good soup go to waste now can we? - my gran used to use shins to make soup back in the day, a great blog Liz, keep 'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still sitting there and I am going to flush it down the loo!

    ReplyDelete